Monday, June 23, 2008

Least Terns at Anaheim Bay



One of the salt-marshes that I am starting to get to know a little bit better is Anaheim Bay. It is also known as the Seal Beach National Wildlife Refuge at the Seal Beach Naval Weapons Station. And while the name sounds intimidating- as are the guards at the entrance gate and the building you pass that says “Torpedo Facility”- the marsh is a bit over 900 acres of near-perfection.

My personal relationship with the wetland started a couple of years ago. I helped a friend with his California Round Ray research there and since then started doing research on the Belding’s Savannah Sparrow. My colleague, Eric Zahn, and I were measuring the flight initiation distances of this State Endangered bird and the refuge was one of our research sites. We probably had a dozen or so visits, a couple hours each time, and the amount I was exposed to is mind-boggling. I saw my first Short-Eared Owl, Great Blue Heron nests, Salt-Marsh Tiger Beetle, Harrier Hawk and most recently, Least Tern chicks.

The marsh is managed by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and they have some great projects on their hands. It is apparent when driving through the area that they have Light-Footed Clapper Rails (while attached to Cordgrass, their nests float with the tides) and also a large Least Tern nesting colony. Both of these birds are endangered and I recently found myself sitting out in the marsh watching the more graceful of these rarities care for their chicks.

The refuge has an “Eyes on the Colony” volunteer program that places people in the marsh, four hour shifts from 7am to 7pm, to vigilantly keep watch over the little baby Terns. The whole point is to keep the 200 or so nests from being decimated by a coyote, raptor, heron or starlings (weird, huh?). Your weapon of choice? A noise gun. That and the electrified fence surrounding the colony are supposed to keep the Tern babies safe.

My first attempt at being a sentry was on Father’s Day with my dad, an avid birder. We kinda failed but it was really amazing. We watched an American Kestrel, on his third attempt, swoop into the colony and grab a Tern chick. Watching the collaboration of Least Tern adults attack the small raptor was impressive. More entertaining though was my dad and I running toward the colony arms raised and yelling while honking this deafening noise-gun (luckily you are in almost complete solitude out there with only egrets to mock you). I would like to believe that we helped the Terns scare the determined Kestrel off the first two times. More than that though, we helped the refuge’s personnel locate the Kestrel so that he can be removed from the area.

The experience is wonderful. You get to watch these magnificent birds raise their young (which are way too cute: they look like grey cotton balls and they run around their sandy habitat, nubby wings reaching in the air, crying for fish from the parents) in the middle of this dynamic marsh and help protect an endangered species. I chose the 3pm -7pm shift so that I can watch the sun set over the shifting tide. I’ve gone twice and am scheduled another two more times although will probably sign up more in July.

I realized the other day that the refuge has been a great classroom and teacher for me. It is experiences like this, facilitated by crucial government funding, which allowed me to interact with and feel connected to this unique habitat and help save a species of bird from extinction. I would recommend contacting Kirk Gilligan or John Fitch and signing up. It will remind you of the necessity of our continued attention for these diminishing habitats and accompanying wildlife. And you’ll get to see cute baby birds.


Check out these sites for info and scheduling:


Taylor

1 comment:

Chelle Neilsen said...

oh what i would give to see such a sight. reminds me (to a much lesser degree) of some crazy girl's reaction to mockingbirds in a plum tree. :)